Re: gnome-keyring Checking for the availability of a secret service

At Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:19:23 +0200,
Tobias Mueller wrote:

Hey hey!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 09:14:12AM +0200, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
available at build time.  This is not sufficient: we need to check
that a secret service is actually available at run time.
Isn't the SecretService a DBus service and shouldn't the service
be started by DBus if it's not yet on the bus?
Note that I'm an amateur in this field so my thinking might
be entirely wrong.

dbus might not be available.  In my original message I mentioned
pinentry-gnome3, but, in fact, the libsecret stuff is part of the
generic code in pinentry and all pinentry's use it including
pinentry-curses and pinentry-tty.

Even if dbus is available, gnome-keyring (or whatever is implementing
the secret service) may not be installed.  I know a lot of people who
use GnuPG explicitly deinstall Gnome keyring, because (among other
issues) it is (currently) not possible to use a smartcard with GnuPG
if gnome keyring is running.  These issues have been recently resolved
upstream, but they have not yet made it into the distributions.

Thanks,

:) Neal