[no subject]

> The question is then
> what to do if SSH_AUTH_SOCK is already set manually, should we assume
> the user wants to use that instead of gkr?

Ubuntu and other distros run the openssh SSH agent in addition to
gnome-keyring-daemon's SSH agent. I guess they do this for console
sessions and the like?

I have made the following change for gnome-keyring-daemon which should
help things:

The user can disable the gnome-keyring SSH agent with
gnome-session-properties [1]. If the user does this the SSH_AUTH_SOCK
environment variable should no longer appear in the list returned by
org.gnome.keyring.Daemon.GetEnvironment().

[1] That is, "Startup Applications". Which BTW has a strange bug, where
you have to select a different item after checking a box.