how to desktop icon...

Hi,
I have written an X-configuration GUI tool.  I want to install it such that
the program will place a desktop icon on all user's desktops.  The questions
is, how or where do I install my xconf.desktop file within /etc/skel such
that any new user who gets added to the system will have this desktop icon
show up on their desktop in both GNOME and KDE environments?  I'm new to
Linux and am having trouble understanding how files in /etc/skel get copied
and are used to generate user environments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ian