Re: gnome-session update

John Harper wrote:

> 1. the bug where gnome-session couldn't handle user interaction
> requests
>
> This may have been due to it not sending ShutdownCancelled messages to
> clients that had already sent their SaveComplete message
>
> I've fixed this, and I now see no problems when I run KDE2 apps under
> gnome-session (e.g. I run kedit and try to logout with unsaved files -
> everything seems to work). I also fixed some sawfish bugs related to
> cancelled shutdowns

Thanks a lot.

> 2. the problem where GNOME apps prevent KDE from logging out
>
> This is due to the session handling in libgnomeui. The problem is that
> applications that don't connect to the "save_yourself" signal cause the
> library to reply to the SM that the save failed
>
> (making ksmserver abort the shutdown process; presumably gnome-session
> ignores failed saves, I can't see anything in the XSMP document about
> the required behaviour here)
>
> Anyway, I've fixed this locally to reply true by default, letting the
> KDE logout process complete successfully.

I believe this is the right solution. XSMP doen't say it explicitly but
since returning false is the only way an application can cancel the
shutdown process, we believe cancelling is the right approach.

Bothering the user with another confirmation box would be overkill.

> I can still wedge the gnome logout process if I ask for multiple
> interaction tokens, but I think this may be because I'm sending
> the second InteractionRequest before the previous InteractDone. I'll
> try to look into this more in the near future..

Don't all applications receive the save_yourself at the same time with
gsm (this is how ksmserver works) ? If you have two or more applications
with unsaved data, the session manager *will* receive two interaction
requests virtually at the same time.

Speaking for Matthias who doesn't seem to be subscribed to list anymore.
Please CC him on further answers.

Harri.