Re: Integrating a Qt application with both desktops

On Friday 17 November 2000 22:05, you wrote:
>[...]
> Since we've implemented our application in Qt, using the KDE libraries
> provides the simplest route towards linux desktop integration:
>
>  - using KApplication instead of QApplication will give us access to
>    HTML help
> 	<http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/2.0-api/classref/kdecore/KApplication.html#ref21>
>
>  - using the KRun class we can open a document in the application that
>    supports it
> 	<http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/2.0-api/classref/kio/KRun.html>
>
> The similar APIs in the gnome libraries, seem to be:
> 	<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-help.html>
> 	<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-exec.html>
>
> Now the things I'm wondering, are: will adding the KDE support make the
> application run right on a gnome desktop as well?

Sure, as long as khelpcenter is installed (for the help), and as long as the
applications associated with those files are registered to KDE (using desktop files)
 - not depending whether they are KDE or Gnome app (or anything else).
You need bits of a KDE desktop, but if it's running under Gnome, no problem.

> Or do I need to detect what desktop is running, and do calls from the
> Gnome API (and linking with the gnome libraries as well)?
>
> Is it even possible to detect what desktop is running?
>
> And if I need to use Gnome API calls, do I need to integrate the Gnome
> stuff with the Qt event loop?

Those three problems might be a reason not to go that way, IMHO :-)

(The event loop integration isn't (yet?) available, AFAIK).

--
David FAURE, david mandrakesoft com, faure kde org
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/