Re: Trash system

rik kde org wrote:

> #if Pavel Cisler
> > The only detail that we do differently from your description is that we
> > use /mnt/somewhere/.Trash-(user name) to avoid trash conflicts for
> > different users.
>
> Oh yes, forgot about that :)
>
> There's still the problem of the same username on 2 hosts making files
> in .Trash-(user name). I'm not sure how to fix that.

Do you need to address that? Couldn't you just put items deleted on
different hosts by the same user on the same partition into the same
Trash?

> > We don't use symlinks, just save the discovered Trash locations into the
> > settings file so that we can quickly access the Trash on the different
> > partitions. It's more or less the same approach though (the single file
> > with the cached paths happened to be more convenient in the
> > implementation).
>
> I suggested using symlinks because then more than one process can write
> new trash links. Otherwise you have to deal with locking of the 'links'
> file.

One thing that I didn't mention before is that we also store the
information that a given partition does not yet have Trash on it so that
you don't have to go looking for it every time you start up. Not sure
how to express that using the symlink approach (we could have an empty
file for it I guess). You are right, if we use the symlink approach, we
wouldn't have to do any explicit synchronization between processes that
access it.

Pavel