Re: Mime Type Analysis

> * Nonstandard MIME types - should we try to standardize on this cross
>   desktop? For instance, gnome-vfs has types of x-directory/normal,
>   x-directory/webdav, x-special/device-block, x-special/device-char
>   and the like.

Hm... what about MIME types for help files?

If the goal for an application is to use the running desktop's help
browser, to display its DocBook XML or HTML files, what would be the
best way to accomplish this?

To have the desktop overwrite settings for MIME types in the user's
HOME directory when it starts?  That would break if the user has two X
displays up with one running KDE and one running Gnome.

To use different sets of help MIME types, eg. application/x-kde-help-docbook,
and application/x-gnome-help-docbook, have the KDE and Gnome
libraries detect which desktop the application they are part of is
running under, and use the corect help MIME types for desktops?  This
doesn't scale beyond KDE and Gnome.

Use ICCCM to resolve the help MIME types?