Re: Ditching CORBA, again?

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > Hence, after long debating and argumentation, supported
> > with strong demonstration arguments, it was decided that for IPC/COM
> > inside the same computer, shared libs are much more appropriate.
> >
> > Kanossa, which only replaces the old OpenParts (but lets untouched KOM)
> > does exactly this: implements shlibs for component embedding. The results
> > are already astonishing, as Kurt's article says.
>
> This means that you can't embed remote components, which I assume
> was one of the things people wanted to do with CORBA.
> Correct?  Therefore, in a real way, CORBA is indeed being abandoned.
>
> That said, I'm not absolutely opposed to ditching CORBA; I just want to
> clarify the situtation.

I found the discussion you referred to.   At least for me, this link works:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=93859049200001&w=2&d=1&r=3
The article that started it off is
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=93859036608097&w=2
which says:

> Subject:   A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
>
> Our master Torben has once more improved KDE's framework by ....
> rewriting what used to be openparts, without using CORBA anymore,
> just plain shared libraries. The benefits are huge, as you all guess,
> and this is something we should consider very seriously.
> Please note that this DOESN'T mean removing CORBA all together.
> We still need it for all the other cases where we use it right now :
> talking to a running application (kfmclient<->konqueror/kdesktop, kmail, ...)
> and scripting an application (which is the same kind of thing in fact).
>
> Also please keep this a bit confidential for now, we all want to have
> a header on slashdot like "KDE drops CORBA", which is not true.
> We simply want to have a better framework for embedding, and to get rid
> of the ugly duplication of kdeui/Qt widgets API in openparts
> (which created something like another toolkit, half-incompatible with
> kdeui/kdecore/Qt). With the new framework, this half-baked API
> disappears and everything uses the normal KDE and Qt API.

So it's quite clear: applications no longer use CORBA to talk
to their embedded components.  Applications as a whole are still
scripted with CORBA.

- Dan

--
(The above is my opinion alone, and not that of my employer)