Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Mosfet,
>
>    I know you have been mean to GNOME, and bad-mouthing GNOME for a
> long time.  Even before any of my interviews.  And that proves nothing.

Where is your evidence of this? I have been mean to you when you hang out on
the KDE IRC channel trying to convince KDE developers that KDE is evil and they
should switch to coding for Gnome, but have never lied about you in the press,
etc...

>    Why you care so much when a reporter gets me off-guard and asks me
> a question?  It was a mistake to say that, probably.  Then again, that
> is how I felt when I was asked that at that precise moment.

Because it seems you are off-guard a lot these days.

>    Linux Journal is running an article on the may issue on the QPL
> license and the author states what he thinks the future of GNOME is.
> He has his views I guess.  Twisted, but he definetly got a point of
> view.

Well, that is how many people certainly feel about you at this point.

>    I do not go around life with a Master Plan and a specific Strategy
> toward some bizarre conspiracy.  As far as I am concerned, I am
> working on GNOME to have a good time given that I love to program;
> because I like to learn new things, experiment with them; because I
> love to create new models in which information flows; because I want
> to write GPL software; because I enjoy a lot the companionship of my
> GNOME friends and because I romantically think that we can make a
> better world.

Then why does it seem you are always cutting down other software projects? If
you were in this to have fun and companionship, you would not feel the need to
attack others so often.

>    I replied to the reporter with what came to my mind at that
point. > I will in the future have a ready-to-use quote for this sort of
> question.
>
> > And in most Gnome stories where Miguel is involved, there is always a quote
> > about how either Linux had no previous GUI or that Gnome was designed to replace
> > "legacy" GUI's like KDE.
>
> The "legacy" GUI was a joke I used for the first time in my Gnumeric
> talk at LinuxExpo.  Boy, you keep a close eye on my actions.  Whoever
> provides you with information about every move I make should include
> in the mail "<miguel-was-giggling> legacy </miguel-was-giggling>".

As the leader of the Gnome project you have to take a certain amount of
responsibility for your statements when giving technical conferences. You rag
on KDE at all of them it seems.

> Now, that being said, my close friends (specially Raph) said that I
> went a bit too far with my jokes in my talk.  So I will cut on those
> jokes in the future.  They are right, I went over-board, and this will
> not happen again.

That is not the first time you have said this.

> You have to understand that I love talking to people, and that to me
> humor is a very important part of my life.
>
> Unlike what you might think, I did not get a degree on marketing.
> Wait a minute.  I did not even get a degree.  I am dropout.  Oh dear.
>
> Anyways, your case is fortunately a clinical case, so there are good
> books and known procedures that can help you to direct your rage,
> anger and fear toward a productive goal.

How about you quit being such as asshole? That would certainly cut down on the
anger part.