Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

hmm. Since my unsubscribe didn't work I figured I would respond to a particular
post.

On Thu, 20 May 1999, you wrote: > [This message has also been posted.]
> On 19 May 1999 23:50:44 -0400, Mosfet <mosfet@jorsm.com> wrote:
>
> >After reading the Miguel interview on BBC I understand why this list
> >gets no traffic. Why the hell would anyone feel compelled to work with
> >someone who said he sees no future for the KDE project even though we
> >have 40G traffic a day and are all very hard at work for KDE2.0. This,
> >along with him making comments about KDE being developed so quickly
> >because no thought goes into design (patently false, KDE is developing
> >so quickly because of the *good* design of it's class libs), make me
> >abandon all hope of even cooperating with Gnome. I certainly will
> >unsubscribe now.
> >
> >Please note I speak only for myself, not for anyone else in the KDE
> >project (but if any KDE people are still willing to tolerate this arse
> >they must either be masochistic or employed by RH IMHO).
> >

> Personally I see your Red Hat jibe to be as bad as Miguel's
> comments. Miguel is entitled to his opinions, he may just need to be
> reminded he just speaks for himself in the end.

Well then certainly I am entitled to my own opinion and that includes Miguel
being a total arse, hurting the free software movement by both offending other
free software developers and users, and being a liar in general. I am sick of
his bullshit.

As far as the RedHat "jibe", the only KDE people I know that still support
working with Gnome/Miguel are paid by RH. Take that however you want.

> Please remember that the GNOME people have had to spend a year
being > told by some KDE developers and companies that they were wasting time,
> it would never work, and that people who worked on GNOME were hurting
> the Free Software movement because they werent in step with other
> people. [Working at Red Hat I have gotten some real "nice" letters about
> how we were only helping Microsoft for trying to do something
> different.]

Oh, fuck off! We KDE people spend *much* more time being told we are evil,
including by people at RedHat and have *never* disrespected Gnome like Miguel
does KDE.

> However, that is all water under the bridge.  I dont agree with the
> Miguels statement that KDE has no future. Without the competition of
> each group trying to improve above the other I feel either of the
> software would be inferior in the end. [This goes for distributions
> also, Red Hat would devolve if it were not for Debian, etc to be
> compared against.]
>
> The greatest strength of the Linux community is that we can compete
> OPENly against each other down to argueing over whether software is
> called Free or Open.

The greatest strength of free software I always felt was that by adding the
capability to innovate in a completely open way one would end up with superior
software, not gain marketshare by lying and spreading general FUD to the users
and press. Miguel is on a power trip, and has fucked up the free software
experience for many of us.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com