Re: Common server activation

> Now tell me why we should not store this info in the applications
> .desktop file?

Consider Gnumeric.  Gnumeric supports various interfaces:

	 GNOME::GenericFactory (for creating new toplevels)
	 GNOME::Gnumeric::Workbook (workbooks)
	 GNOME::Gnumeric::Sheet (sheets)
	 GNOME::Table

And will support regions and GNOME::DBTable soon.

This means that a single program is providing a pile of different
interfaces.

You need a special setup to store all of this information there, plus
any extra information you might need about the server.  Our new setup
conteplates contraints as well (so you can specify which interfaces
are supported for each toplevel interface trough QI).

We need to support multiple servers and factories in a single
executable.

> I can somehow understand your point if it comes to plain CORBA
> servers, but on the other hand .gnorba files look like striped down
> .desktop files to me.

Then I guess to you win.ini looks like a big .desktop file, right?

Seriously.

They contain *ortogonal* information.  The .gnorba file contains
information about activating servers and the way those servers are
exported.  If you look at .gnorba you will see that the information
there has nothing to do with the information in a .desktop file.

That being said, the new file format for the new .gnorba files is
going to be an xml tree.

Now, what about display-less servers, that have *no business
whatsoever* with the display, those also get a .desktop file in your
setup?

> Sorry, I don't see your point, three or four CORBA entries do not _bloat_ the
> .desktop files. If anything bloats the .desktop files then its the 20-30
> app-name translations we have in there.

Those make sense to be there.  Not information on CORBA, nor user's
favorite printer, nor user favorite mascot.

> No offense Miguel, but just yelling about whats broken and what should not be
> done this or that way is not exactly constructive.

Yelling?  I think I did not open my mouth during the whole mail typing
process.

Anyways, I guess we are going to do what we think is correct; and you
guys are going to do what you think is correct.

Best wishes,
Miguel