Re: Gnome/KDE printing... (fwd)

On 27 Jun 1999, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On 27 Jun 1999 10:52:41 -0400, Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna@total.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm a KDE'r in a small way.  I read your GNOME June 14-21 summary
> >on LinuxToday.  You mentioned both Christian, and easy printing on
> >UNIX.
>
> There really isn't any need to bring printing up on this list, because
> there's no interoperability between KDE & GNOME apps that would result by
> agreeing on a common printing system.
>
> (CUPS does sound cool, but this is pretty much an issue of whether the
> apps talk IPP or LPR to the print daemon, not whether the apps talk IPP or
> LPR to apps of the other persuasion.)

While it's true that it isn't clear from the message of Peter, I think he
was just *kindly* searching for a nice way to have cooperation between our
projects yet in another domain.

Of course, related to printing mechanism (the system level ones) Gnome and
KDE are two extremely different and completely noninteresting animals.

BUT!!! We can imagine a way to store user level cofiguration for printing
(printer selection depending on network environment, paper
size/orientation, resolution etc) so that this configuration be
understandable and usable by both desktops. Oh well...

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org