Re: GNUstep [was: Re: please archive me]

On 20 Sep 1998, Paul Seelig wrote:
> Well, i've got this list subscribed since it's beginnings and i have
> definitely lost any hope about any cooperation between KDE and GNOME.
> Apart from such fundamental things like a common drag'n'drop mechanism
> i think the differences between both projects have proven to be just
> too large to be vanquished.
>
> Personally i've lost quite some interest in mostly both projects
> unless they still don't find any way of cooperation.  If they don't,
> both will have been in vain at least to some degree. Too bad.
>
> Hopefully the GNUstep project doesn't loose the impetus it has gained
> in the last weeks/months.  I advise everybody who got weary of the
> KDE/GNOME antics to rather invest their valuable time in GNUstep.

"If these two projects can't get along, they will be useless, so support a
*third* non-cooperating project."

Dude, that makes no sense. Are you just trying to start a flame war?

Please don't make it seem like the situation is this adversarial. There's
plenty of room for several desktops. I like GNUStep and it will probably
do well.

The important level of interoperation will be CORBA interfaces; even if
the two projects have different ones, which they hopefully won't, it
should be possible to write a glue layer. This is already planned to use
non-compliant programs like Emacs and Netscape.

Other than that little cooperation is possible; the C/C++ difference alone
requires most code to be written twice. Gtk/Qt compounds it. Objective
C/OpenStep adds a third dimension, so don't act like GNUStep is above
this.

CORBA/DnD and other similar things give us very nice interoperability,
despite the lack of code reuse. The multiple desktops will mean user
choice, and apps from one should work OK with the others.

So let's quash this divisive little line of thinking right now.

Havoc