Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

Gleef wrote:

> This is a list for KDE and GNOME interoperability.  Don't assume that
> everyone is using a K menu.  I, for one, use the GNOME panel, and it would
> make sense for there to be an easy way for a program to install itself on
> either/both menus regardless of what is being used.

I said it that way to make it short and direct to how I run it now.
If it hadn't accord to me that a lot of people want to run KDE apps
from the Gnome panel I wouldn't have bothered to join this list :)

> Proper Corba apps should be friends, but my understanding is that both
> Baboon and KOM make assumptions above and beyond the raw Corba spec,
> making them trickier to integrate.  Mico and ORBit should talk to each
> other fine though.

Tsk, Tsk, So neither set are proper Corba apps ?  Can they be "fixed" or
at least bindings written so that apps written to KOM will play nice
with
apps written to Baboon ?

> What do you mean "Nope"?  Are application-specific strings less likely to
> be correct.  Keep in mind both KDE and GNOME use gettext's
> application-specific strings very effectively.

That nope was in response to the comment he respond to as well as his
comment ( confused yet ? ).  Both Environments already do Translations
just fine.

> What mechanism does KDE's control center use to switch languages?  Since
> both are using gettext, I would think that works already.  Can you give
> more detail to the problem you're having?

I am not having any problems.  I just haven't tried using Gnome apps
( the sight of all those libs on 2 different FTP sites scared me
speechless ).  Do they both respond to the same "switch to language X
command ?

> As I indicated, hardcoded keybindings won't work for a truly
> internationalized program.  Find C-Z on a Greek keyboard.  While KDE might
> have a more potent keybinding solution than its webpage implies, linking
> to the webpage is not, in itself, a solution.

There is actually a Library that handles Key bindings.  If I understand
correctly ( And I may very likely be wrong :) You code your keybindings
and then the translation to customized or foreign maps is done by this
lib.  That way the programer who knows only her language hasn't got to
worry about those people with different charsets or needs.

> Somehow I doubt that.  Most will probably give an easy way to switch, but
> for example, XiG is very heavily into CDE, and currently ships neither KDE
> nor GNOME.  Even if a distribution ships both, one will likely be the
> default, and I suspect some will have KDE the default and some GNOME.
> This is because the marketing divisions of the distribution companies will
> demand product differentiation.  Choosing amongst CDE/KDE/GNOME/GNUStep is
> an excellent way they can do this.

Yes and they will.

> Since GNOME is nearing the end of its beta days, I am sure Caldera will
> start considering it.

This according to the hype machine which has sprung up around the Gnome
project.  The Teem recently froze the libs and will soon start freezing
apps.

Caldera will ship Gnome 1.0

However 1.0 won't be out for many moons.  Remember Gnome is 7 months
behind KDE and has not been outpacing them ( Think of where KDE was
7 months ago and you get the picture ).  For at least the 1st 1/2 of
1999 Gnome will be considered a test product and BETA level.

Sorry if I offended but it's true. :(

>:-)  From a quick look at gnome-libs/AUTHORS, we have a Hungarian, a
> Czech, a few Germans, an Italian.  It looks like GNOME is
> Northern-Hemisphere only, and KDE is Cross-Equator :-)

BwoHaHaHaa.  No fare.  That's just the Authors.  KDE is currently in
20 odd languages ( and a few even ones ).  There are programers who
speak each of those natively.  However it has a well defined core teem.

> > > I would think it would get very messy programming in either, but the
> > > orange would be stickier.
> >
> > Preston Brown.  Currently at RedHat Programs for both Gnome and KDE ( He
> > is in the KDE Core and on the RedLabs resident Gnome staff ).
>
> Yes, he's also the person who started this list.  That still doesn't
> answer my apple/orange question :-)
>
> -Gleef

Well He uses Oranges to represent '0' and apples to represent '1'.
That Pure binary machine language actually runs on a 64 bit blender :).
( no compile necessary since it's binary )