Re: Seeking Spanish speaker to edit Spanish articles for GNOME Journal Hispano

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 19:28 -0500, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> We're now receiving, editing, and uploading articles for the 1 March
> GNOME Journal, which will be a special bilingual edition.  Paul and I
> will lead the English-language editing, but we'd like assistance for the
> Spanish versions.  If you read and write Spanish fluently and can
> proofread, please let us know by Thursday 17 February.  Thanks!
>
> More about GNOME Journal's plans: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeJournal
>
> Thanks,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> GNOME Journal Release Organizer & Editor

Hi,

I attach you the last article for the GNOME Journal about GNOME Hispano,
sorry for the delay.

So, the articles for this issue are:

1) Past, Present and Future of GNOME HISPANO
2) Styling GTK+ through CSS
3) Behind the Scenes with Federico Mena Quintero
4) SyncTeX support in GNOME
5) Andalusia government success story

You can count with me for edition the Spanish edition.

Cheers,

  -- Juanjo Marin

Past, Present and Future of GNOME HISPANO

José María Casanova
Igalia
jmcasanova igalia com
http://blogs.igalia.com/chema/

Juanjo Marín
juanj marin andaluciajunta es
http://jjmarin.blogspot.com/

Summary
=======

GNOME HISPANO started as a meeting point for Spanish-speaking people with a common interest in the Gnome project. Over time this name has been consolidating into a group that meets annually at the HISPANIC GUADEC (GUADEC-ES) for sharing their experiences, developments and projects about GNOME.

The beginnings
==============

Since its inception in 1997, the GNOME project, led by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena Quintero, was focus on the development of a completely free desktop environment. Although the project has an international projection and the natural language work for the project is English, the fact that its two founders were native Spanish speakers helped, no doubt, to plant in 2000 the seed of GNOME HISPANO.

GNOME HISPANO origin can be dated to 14th December 2000, in a Rodrigo Moya's message to the gnome-development mailing list [1] entitled "Objectives", asking for a group of people for "promoting the GNOME project in Spain and Latin America" and for that, "the first thing we think we should do is to prepare skilled programmers who know the programming of this desktop environment."

In the beginning, the people were Álvaro del Castillo, Carlos Perelló, Juan Tomas García, Ismael Olea, Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Chema Celorio, Germain Poo, Roberto Majadas, among many others. The first appearance of the GNOME HISPANO term to refer to the group is in the hands of Alvaro del Castillo on February 6, 2001. This comes as a proposal in the midst of a discussion aimed at defining what was the best name for the group. Finally it was accepted as the official name, in order to cover the Spanish-speaking people from both sides of the Atlantic.

In 2001, we began collecting information related to GNOME in Spanish and bringing to the Spanish community through its web site. The first community members were Spanish-speaking people with different nationalities. During this period it was created the GNOME section in the technology weblog Barrapunto, the Spanish-speaking version dotslash.com.

The most important point of meeting since its inception has always been the #gnome-hispano in the GimpNet IRC network, where the language is actually Spanish and can usually be found today at most of the members of the community. This medium was used to deliver various lectures and tutorials over time. Another meeting is the planet GNOME Hispano [2] where we currently find syndicated content blogs of the gnomeros, similar to planet GNOME.

One of the main effort has been made over time is making GNOME ccessible to Spanish-speaking users. To accomplish this goal, the work of translators has been very important, who have managed to translate GNOME into Spanish, with only one neutral GNOME translation for all Spanish speakers.

During all this period we have made numerous efforts to disseminate and promote the development of GNOME in universities.

GNOME Hispano has been actively involved with the GNOME community, and already in 2002 helped organize the III GUADEC (GNOME Users and Developers European Conference) in Seville. There, the Hispanic group organized a parallel session presentations in Spanish.

First GUADEC Hispana and the Association

In May 2004, under the auspices of the Junta de Extremadura, there was a turning point with the first HISPANIC GUADEC (GUADEC-ES) [3] organized in Almendralejo.

Although GNOME HISPANO as group had participated in multiple events and conferences related to Free Software, this GUADEC HISPANA was the first event focused exclusively on covering our main topic of interest. This was the first meeting of the GNOME Hispano members from Spain.

At this meeting, the idea of formalizing the legal definition of GNOME HISPANO and the possibility of creating a Spanish nonprofit organization was raised with the aim of supporting the GNOME project.

Its statutes was drawn up and the certificate of incorporation was signed on September 19, 2004, and the GNOME HISPANO was created [4].

The signing took place in Pamplona and the association had as founders Alvaro del Castillo (Madrid), José Ángel Díaz (Extremadura), Rodrigo Moya (Navarra), Jose Maria Casanova (Galicia), Alberto Ruiz (Canary Islands), Alvaro Lopez (Madrid ) and Juan Jesus Ojeda (Canary Islands). The constitution of the association lasted a long time due to the complexity for managing a large group of people along the Spanish geography. The legal address was set in the Faculty of Informatics, Universidade da Coruña. The registration of the the association was officially made the in May 11, 2005, so after a year, GNOME HISPANO was legally stated as a national nonprofit association.

Recent times
============

Since its incorporation as an association, the main event of GNOME HISPANO has always been the organization of the HISPANIC GUADEC (GUADEC-ES) and support other events related to GNOME, especially international and local hackfests. The association was raised, from its beginnings as a way to make it easier for their members to carry out projects and maintaining GNOME HISPANO as a conistent group with international and integrative values between Spain and Latin America.

For the organization of the 2nd HISPANIC GUADEC, which took place in Universidade da Coruña in May 2005, there was a major effort to involve the Hispanic community as Poo Germain (Chile), Fernando San Martín (Chile), Ariel Rios (Mexico), Diego Torres (Argentina) and Marcos Mazoni (Brazil). In this edition, we try to bring dates GUADEC-ES close to GUADEC for facilitating travel opportunities for American presenters and participants. Wa can't forget to mention the work of very active groups such as GNOME CHILE.

At this period of time the first meeting of translators was held in Mérida, attended by Javier Serrador, Jorge González, Juan Rafael García, Lucas Vieira, Dario Rapisarda and Jose Angel Diaz. And it was decided to standardize the GNOME translation system and propose the creation of a tool/editor for translation support.

The next big event where GNOME HISPANO  was actively involved was organization of the 7th GUADEC, which was held in Vilanova i la Geltrú, Catalonia, and that was the co-occurrence in the same space and time, of GUADEC and GUADEC-ES. This allowed us to enjoy a great event, with strong participation of the leaders of the Hispanic world. On this occasion the association bring all the financial management of the event and the relationship with sponsors and participants.

Later, with the collaboration of GPUL, the first edition of GUADEMY was organized in A Coruña. The GUADEMY represented a very positive experience to bring the KDE and GNOME developers to share experiences and exchange views on the status of today the most importantprojects free desktop. The event was referenced to the global level and another edition was organized again with the collaboration of PoLinuX in the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia in 2008.

The following editions of the GUADEC-ES were held in Granada (Andalucía) in collaboration with GCubo, in the University of Granada,  and the next one was in Fuenlabrada (Madrid) in collaboration with GSyC/LibreSoft at the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC).

It was not until 2009 for another coincidence of the GUADEC-ES and an international event, the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit. This event was the first occasion in which the main congresses of the largest free desktop, KDE and GNOME, are unified in a single act to encourage collaboration. We believe that the success of the GUADEMY contribute to make the Desktop Summit a reality.

The latest edition of the HISPANIC GUADEC (GUADEC-ES) was held in A Coruña, organized with collaboration of GPUL. It is noteworthy that the short time avalaible to organize the whole event was of only 2 months, since the organization of the event in Coruña was due to damage caused by the earthquake in Chile where it was initially planned to be hold.

Holding all these consecutive GUADEC-ES since 2004 represents a success for our community and it help us to check the health of the GNOME project over the years. We also are proud of supporting hackfests and other GNOME related events all these years.

We can see that as a group, with collaboration of various associations and institutions, we could consolidate this meeting of GNOME friends who share the Spanish language.

Future
======

The objective we have as a group within a globalized world, comes about by bringing our desktop platform to future developers by showing them the possibilities offered by the GNOME community to create high-quality free software useful to all users.

Some of challange we face are:

* How can we contribute to the society as a collective?
* How can we attract new generations to the GNOME project?
* What can we respond to government and business needs?