Re: Issue 18 (Multimedia?)

Paul Cutler wrote on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:30:32 -0600:
Good morning,

I wanted to start a discussion about our next issue (Issue 18).  We had been
planning a Multimedia issue, and I was wondering if there was still interest
in having a themed issue?

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeJournal/ArticleSubmissionQueue is now updated with the Issue 18 articles. Jason Clinton's blog entries from the Boston Summit were super helpful and a summary would be cool.

> Jayson - I'm assuming Lennart never came through.  You had originally
> mentioned interest in doing a Behind the Scenes with Aaron Bockover - are
> you still interested in doing an interview and if so, will you reach out to
> him?

I think anything from or about Aaron Bockover/Banshee/the Cubano Banshee platformatization stuff he discussed at GCDS might be interesting. http://abock.org/2009/07/14/exciting-updates-on-the-road-to-banshee-2-0

In Banshee news, Neil Loknath is doing music sharing on Banshee (also via Telepathy API) Also, http://alban.apinc.org/blog/2009/09/05/share-your-music-to-your-im-contacts-with-rhythmbox-and-telepathy/ is about sharing Rhythmbox tunes via Tubes. So if there's any other interesting social/sharing multimedia stuff, that could get combined into an overview.

Paul mentioned that Zonker was interested in writing a Banshee article?

> Stormy - Any ideas for an Ad Board interview, if you have the time?
>
> Anyone else have an idea for an article?

Some of this came up on #gnome-journal or the article wishlist page:

* scripting ways to take chunks out of video & automatically remixing them? anything in GNOME that makes that easier? (Haven't heard any ideas yet on how...)

* Brasero review/compare-and-contrast with its competitors

* That's GNOME? An article about all the places GNOME is used from the new Barnes and Noble ereader to Amazon to Supersonic Imagine to Garmin Nuvo's. (especially talking about the spread of GStreamer on mobile devices?)

* The Miro podcatcher/Torrent client/download tool, which is a GTK project IIRC, might also be interesting to highlight. http://bluesock.org/~willg/blog/miro/reducing_complexity.html mentions some current events, like concentrating on GStreamer in the Linux version of Miro.

> If we have enough, I was thinking of publishing 30 days after Issue 17,
> around December 17-20th (get it done before Christmas!)  With the holidays
> coming people might be busy, so I'm open to feedback.

It seems very unlikely to me that we could get articles in time for a pre-Christmas release. Perhaps January?

Best,
Sumana Harihareswara