Re: Has GNOME-Journal Died?

Absolutely - I'm 100% committed to help make this happen!

I just need to get some direction to get started - contacts to get info from, etc.

I'm not drowning in free time, but I can easily devote a couple of hours in the weekday evenings, and usually much more on weekends (naturally).

I'll spend the next little bit looking around (more carefully) the Wiki pages that are out there, and see what can be done (I maintain a couple of different wiki's at my work), and also hopefully Lucas can get in touch with me to get the ball rolling.

As for articles, perhaps someone who is active on the Planet could post an advertisement of sorts to see if there are any folks out there who either have something already in mind to write about, or perhaps we could set up a core group of writers and have folks throughout the GNOME community submit stories to those writers. Also, since you mention a lot of folks already use their own blogs, and the Planet, we could scan those for interesting topics, then contact the original Author (perhaps getting them involved) and do a more elaborate, press ready copy done for the journal (i.e. send it through the proofing process, etc.)?

My initial thought is, perhaps since the Journal has stagnated a bit, there might be some new community members who do not know it's even there, and we can spark some new interest in it.

I myself am going to freshen up on "The Elements of Style" and see what I can learn about 'Textile'.

Just some thoughts.

Claus Schwarm wrote:
Hi, Jayson!

Thanks for volunteering, I'd say!

To get the GNOME Journal going, the most needed person is the
release manager: Somebody who sets up a schedule, asks people for
articles, organizes proof-reading, uploads the articles, advertises the
edition and deals with the technical stuff.

I used to do this, then Lucas did it. Not sure who followed. I might be
seriously mistaken -- Apologies in advance! -- , but I believe the
position is open for a new volunteer!

If you'd like to do this, there are quite a lot of things to do:

  * As you already noted: cleaning the Wiki pages is needed.

  * We need a new technical base, since our current system is
out-of-date. It's a pain to use, and our database used to crash
every now and then, especially shortly before or right after a
release. Lucas started a transition to another system -- WordPress, I
believe -- but it wasn't finished. Maybe I just missed the announcement.

  * Setting up a new schedule should be easy, since it's in the wiki.
Sri also set up a Google calender but I'm not sure whether anybody
watches it.

  * The major problem: Getting articles!

   (1) There's no such a thing as a community channel for GNOME. The
closest thing are the mailing lists. These are hard to watch and
it's even harder to get somebody to write about interesting things.

   (2) Many potential writers use their blogs and the Planet: It's
easier for them to use what they know, there's not need to discuss
issues with editors, and they get instant publishing.

    However, there might be some older articles from the last
unpublished edition to get started. Check the mailing list archive.

  * The last time, proof-reading worked well and fast, but it needs to
be organized: Who reads an article, etc.

  * For the rest, there should be a tutorial in the Wiki for promoting
a new edition. But it's probably a little bit out-of-date.

  * There's also some administration work to do: Watching over the
mailing list so there's no spam, dealing with the system admin group,
stuff like that.

I'm sure, Lucas and others can comment some more.

Cheers,
Claus

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:06:10 -0400