Subject: Short article on the advisory board
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:29:19 +0100
From: Dave Neary <dneary free fr>
To: GNOME Foundation Board <board-list gnome org>

This is a pretty poor article - it's fairly boring, and some
recommendations on making it better would be welcome.

Photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/davidz/180761066/in/set-72157594186094257/
http://flickr.com/photos/davidz/180759549/in/set-72157594186094257/

Our Newest Supporters
=====================

This year has been particularly rich in new arrivals on the foundations
Advisory Board. With the introduction in Summer 2005 of a lower
membership rate for small companies, we welcomed two young companies -
OpenedHand and Imendio - into the fold.

At the time, Matthew Allum of OpenedHand wrote: "We strongly believe
that GNOME technologies give advantages on today's mobile and embedded
platforms - at OpenedHand we are both GNOME developers and users."

Mikael Hallendal, CEO of Imendio, had similar sentiments - "The GNOME
platform has always been a core part of our business", he said, "Our
developers have been involved both professionally and personally in
GNOME since the beginning of the project."

The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) is a non-profit which provides
legal advice with a free-software twist - a group of techno-savvy
lawyers gathered by Eben Moglen to help free software projects in need
get bleeding-edge answers to questions relating to trademarks,
liability, patents and other thorny issues facing our community. We are
happy to welcome the group onto the advisory board.

Other new faces have arrived on the board this year too - Intel,
Canonical and Access (formerly PalmSource) have also signed up to
support the shared vision of the GNOME project during the year.

The presence of Access, along with Nokia, Imendio and OpenedHand, is
particularly pleasing, since it indicates the extent to which the
project is reaching outside its traditional boundaries into the embedded
and mobile device market (see GMAE elsewhere).

Waldo Bastian of Intel puts the accent on standardisation and
co-operation - after announcing that Intel were joining the advisory
board, Waldo wrote on the foundation mailing list that "through OSDL and
LSB, bridging the gaps between industry leading Linux desktop
environments for the benefit of users and application developers has
been an important goal for us.  We very much appreciate the opportunity
work more closely with the GNOME community to realize that goal"

(awaiting some feedback from Jane in Canonical to have something about
their joining)

The advisory board has gone through some changes this year - we have had
regular phone conferences focussed on particular issues the foundation
has faced, and a very successful face-to-face meeting at GUADEC (see
GUADEC article).

We have also broadened the scope of the group to be a place where
co-operation is possible between members on a technical level. Over the
coming year we will get that co-operation started, and have a meeting
with technical representatives of the advisory board focussed on the
needs of partners, and how we can fulfill them.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary