Re: Infrastructure | Request to archive the gspell project (#700)

Title: GitLab

Michael Catanzaro commented:

One more thing: if you just wanted to move gspell from gitlab.gnome.org to github.com, of course that would be sad, but that seems reasonable because you developed gspell yourself and it doesn't have any other maintainers. We don't allow core elements (like gedit) to be hosted externally, but gspell is an SDK dep and those are allowed to use whatever hosting they please. The problem here is the additional element of sabotage: trying to actively prevent other contributors from working on gspell is too much. We just cannot have GNOME software depending on a repo that says "contributions are no longer accepted." And gspell is more ingrained than amtk and tepl were, so our dependencies on it cannot easily be reverted.

That said, I see you changed your contribution policy here, so maybe allowing gspell to move would be OK after all. That said, it's really confusing to have it hosted in the same GitHub organized that hosts non-renamed forks of gedit and gtksourceview. A compromise solution might look like:

  • Rename your gedit and gtksourceview forks
  • We archive gspell here and point it to your new repo
  • You agree not to close gspell to further contributions again (at least for the foreseeable future)