Re: Infrastructure | New discourse instance (#99)

Title: GitLab

Emmanuele Bassi commented:

The hierarchy and taxonomy of the categories requires some thought, but it doesn't need to be "right" from the very start. We should be able to move things around.

If we use general macro areas as top levels, we could go with:

  • Platform
  • Desktop
  • Applications
  • Community

Drilling down sub-categories, we could reuse the platform overview as a template:

  • Platform
  • Core
  • Networking
  • Language bindings
  • Media

The "Core" sub-category would have tags for GLib, GTK, Pango, etc.; the "language bindings" sub-category would have tags for Python, _javascript_, Perl, etc..

  • Desktop
  • Shell
  • System Settings

The sub-categories are for large topics that can involve multiple components; "Shell" refers to both gnome-shell and mutter, but also to the extensions, Clutter and Cogl, etc.

  • Applications
  • Builder

The "Applications" category would have sub-categories for larger applications, and tags for everything else.

Under the "Community" category we could have Engagement, Announcements, Events, Fund raising, etc.