Re: [gnome.org #14111] Setup geoip web service for geoclue

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Andrés G. Aragoneses <knocte gmail com> wrote:
That seems too broad. This ticket was about the HTTP REST server.

I guess you meant to direct me to
https://mozilla-ichnaea.readthedocs.org/en/latest/api/index.html#service-api

And that, sadly, requires an API-KEY which we need to request for each app.
Why is this? (Fedora service doesn't require this, and the GeoClue service
that Andrea would have set up wouldn't either)

The Mozilla service is a lot broader than just geoip and the server
load is way lot higher than it even will be on Fedora's geoip server.

Normally this is done in
order to avoid high usage of the service (which would be a shame because it
could lead to a "death because of success" scenario).

Its to avoid people spamming the service to cause DoS. It has happened
already. You can talk to Mozilla devs about this if you like.

At this point, for a Gnome app, it's may be better to remain using the
Fedora service instead of Mozilla's.

A bit too late. Please keep yourself informed about latest geolocation
developments if you want to have an effect on its direction. I've been
blogging about all this and its been on planet.gnome:

http://zee-nix.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/geolocation (skip the latest one).

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
Befriend GNOME: http://www.gnome.org/friends/