GNOME IP geolocation server

Heya,

Satabdi has worked in the past couple of weeks on a IP geolocation
server and client for GNOME, both of which are available in:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/geocode-glib

The server uses the library code from GeoIP available under the LGPL:
http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/downloadable#C_API-3
as well as databases from MaxMind, which are available under a CC
license:
http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geolite#License-4

I'd like GNOME to offer IP geolocation services for geocode-glib users
through a service like: https://geoip.gnome.org

But there are plenty of open questions:
- I'd like to avoid answering requests from non-free, or clients other
than based on geocode-glib. Is that something we can do?
- Should we change the license of the service to AGPL?
- What should be our privacy terms for the service itself, and are they
implementable by the sysadmin team?
- What should we do about security checking the service itself so that
it isn't an attack vector?

Cheers

PS: Resending as this was originally send to gnome-sysadmin@