Introduction

I would like to introduce myself to the Gnome SysAdmin team. My name is David Vestal. I am interested in getting to know the team and, at some point, being able to help.

I am interested in helping because Linux has been my primary operating system for the past 12 years and Gnome my primary desktop for the majority of that time and I would like to begin contributing back to the community rather than just being a consumer. Prior to my current position I was a web developer for about seven years; mostly java and python. For the past year and a half I have been a system administrator / build-release engineer with my current employer.

I have enjoyed being able to learn enough Ruby to implement the usage of Puppet for our system management. I have configured, but not used in production, multi-master replication for MySQL. We currently have a master-slave configuration until I can finish the preparation of moving our database to Amazon RDS. We use LDAP for our user management, but being a java shop my supervisors are adament to use OpenDJ instead of OpenLDAP and as such I would love to learn the differences in the usage, configuration, replication, etc. for that instead.

As my intention with this email is to just introduce myself, I would like to lurk on the irc channel for a little while (nick: dvestal) and continue reading through a lot of the system documentation available on the website. I would also like to state that if there is anything that I can do to help while I am getting to know the people and the systems please feel free to ask.

Thank you.  I look forward to being able to be a part of the community.

David Vestal