chat client

I have been reading a few of the email streams in the last few days and it got me to thinking. Would it be easier to have a chat client that dod not send every small message to the email, so the whole group could communicate faster and have al of the past messages in the same window. There are a number of good chat clients out there, and some that you could get the source code for and keep on the website and others with desktop clients.

Well i am new to this so for all i know this is the perfect way to communicate, but just trying to think of other ideas to make communication better.

-richard