Re: The last long steps of the gnome.org website

Olav Vitters wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 12:51:28AM +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > I won't go about with some kind of inpirational blah-blah-blah about
> > how the last steps of climbing a mountain, when you are closest to
> > the top are the hardest, because I never did that. I saw some dude
> > on TV saying that though.
>
> I saw on a blog somewhere that the plan was that this would go live @
> GNOME 3.0 release.
>
> Did you talk to someone from gnome-sysadmin or arrange it'll actually
> happen?

I am now CC'ing gnome-infrastructure gnome org to be sure.

> I have some concerns regarding existing usage of www.gnome.org. E.g. the
> www.gnome.org css is reused on various sites,
> www.gnome.org/start/{stable,unstable} links, etc. Just switching without
> planning will break stuff.
>
> Is there a document with migration plan?

Not a migration plan but I tried a quick inventory of our current
websites:

www.gnome.org
 - to be replaced by wptest.gnome.org (currently on socke)
 - need to migrate wordpress and data
 - switch could be a change in vhost configuration
 - has a serie of well known URL, that should be kept (as
   Redirect(Match) in apache config)

library.gnome.org
 - has its own css & images
 - is migrated to new layout
 - need to be moved from window to webapps
 - switch could be a DNS change

developer.gnome.org
 - just a static image
 - to be replaced by a second instance of library-web
 - this second instance could be developer-test.gnome.org, with the
   swith as a vhost configuration change

planet.gnome.org & news.gnome.org
 - to be migrated to new layout by aruiz

mail-web:
 - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
 - has its own css & images

cgit:
 - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
 - reuse images from http://gnome.org/css/ (e.g.
   http://gnome.org/css/star.png)

moinmoin:
 - has its own css & images

http://people.gnome.org/
 - is currently broken

projects.gnome.org
 - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
 - has its own css & images

bugzilla
 - not using current stlye

foundation
 - not using current style

> Also, gnomeweb-wml is:
>  - www.gnome.org
>  - projects.gnome.org
>  - people.gnome.org
>
> I have plans for projects.go and people.go. I guess it means we'll have
> to split gnomeweb-wml into 3?

The www.gnome.org part won't be necessary anymore; keeping projects.
and people. together is certainly not a problem.

Hope it clarifies things,

        Frederic