Re: Build gnome org is down

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Ray Wang <raywang gnome org> wrote:
> I cannot ssh into fixed.g.o as well.
> seems like sshd was down?

The builders generally cause the box to swap heavily. During heavy
memory pressure, it is common for the kernel thread writing memory out
to swap, kswapd, to go into IO wait. At this point, just about
everything on the box will seemingly hang as the kernel puts it into
IO wait until the memory can be written to swap.

sshd is up, but completely unresponsive due to this swap issue.
$ nc -v -z fixed.gnome.org 22
Connection to fixed.gnome.org 22 port [tcp/ssh] succeeded!

It is commonly called swapdeath. The best 2 ways out of it are a sysrq
kill all tasks or a reboot. Putting these builders on RHEL6 vms will
be a welcome move forward.