Sysadmin budget request

Hi Board!

The Sysadmin team has been reviewing the current infrastructure and servers and would like to request the purchase of a new server in the next fiscal year.

The average server is from 2006[1] and with the exception of the server donated by Jeff Schroeder last year, the support contracts have expired on all of them. �One or two of the current servers have suffered from outages and with the support contracts expired we need to have a backup plan. �The recent outage of the Label server highlighted this need as we lost a number of services including live.gnome.org, Jabber, LDAP and more.

Examples what new hardware would help with: [2, 3]:

* Build server - the current build service brings the server to its knees and that server also runs other services. �With GNOME 3 coming, the build server will be even more important for the release team.
* Create failover services for NFS and LDAP/DNS
* New services such as Snowy, Blip and more will create an additional strain on the current servers
* Migrate more services to individual VMs which helps with backup, migration and security (we would need more powerful hardware than we have today to host multiple VMs)

Ideally, we'd like to request 2 servers - one similar to the donation last year in the $5000 to $6000 range and a smaller server to separate out critical services. �

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional services.

Paul
(on behalf of the Sysadmin team)

[1]�http://live.gnome.org/Sysadmin/Servers
[2]�http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-infrastructure/2010-September/msg00077.html