Re: Possible routing issue, git.gnome.org

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 00:47 +0100, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Just to add here that
>
> 1. For svn.gnome.org being in Europe, ping responses are very quick
> (4.5ms, from UK academic network),
> which probably have spoiled some ;-).
> 2. From Europe, git.gnome.org is 26 hops away in my case.
> The ICMP response is about 216ms while other typical US websites are
> under 140ms.
>
> Here is the 'mtr git.gnome.org'. It shows that five hops correspond to
> Telia.net servers and nine for Level3.net.
> The remaining four hops that show IP addresses that are still Level3
> routers. Therefore, 13 Level3 routers in total.

[....]

> Could that be a routing issue with Level3.net that affects in some way
> the speed of clones?
> Other European users seeing a similar image?

>From my home network I see:

 - identical routing once packets enter the Level3 network in NY
 - ping times of ~160ms
 - clone speeds of ~620KiB/s - maxing out my connection

So I don't see anything about your report that looks particular
troublesome.

What sorts of speeds do you get from a clone? I think I'd define a
problem as:

 - Cloning from git.kernel.org at > 200KiB/s
 - Cloning from git.gnome.org at < 100KiB/s

(If there is some problem that affects connections to both
git.kernel.org and git.gnome.org, then I assume better networking minds
then us will be working on it.)

- Owen