Re: Receiving objects: 44% (121381/272167), 124.05 MiB | 78 KiB/s

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 15:24 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:56 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On 05/04/2009 02:52 PM, Reid Thompson wrote:
> > > Is this the 'to be expected' transmission rate for git?  Or is there
> > > something abnormal about today?
> > >
> > > Receiving objects:  44% (121381/272167), 124.05 MiB | 78 KiB/s
> >
> > Be more specific?  What's wrong with 78 KiB/s exactly?  I've seen that speed
> > from my home network, and I've see as high as 1 MiB/s from other networks
> > (including a coffeeshop network).
> >
> > behdad
>
> at that rate, downloading everything for evolution (evolution
> evolution-exchange evolution-webcal evolution-data-server glib libsoup
> libgweather gvfs gtkhtml etc) is going to take more time to download
> than that it took to download, compile and install using svn.  hours ??
> longer... just trying to find out if that is going to be the norm going
> forward or not.
>
> evolution took 42 minutes to download, evolution-data-server won't
> download...

Obviously connectivity to git.gnome.org and svn.gnome.org may be quite
different - they are hosted in different places (svn.gnome.org in
Europe, git.gnome.org in the US)

But in every case we've looked at, bottlenecks checking out from
git.gnome.org:

 A) On someone's local connection or network provider
 B) Somewhere in hand-offs between major networks

With no network constraints, you should see download rates of
1 or 2 MiB/s. (I consistently get that from the Red Hat office in
Massachusetts, somewhat slower from home - but still 10x what you are
reporting.)

Of course, checking out everything is a one-time activity so almost by
definition it won't be the same in the future....

- Owen