Re: Wrap-up on server move

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 13:48 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

>  * Despite our best efforts, we still have some sporadic problems
>    with cached old DNS entries being reported today.
>
>    My detailed knowledge of the DNS system isn't good enough to
>    understand why; if I had to guess it might be related to delays
>    related to updating the IP address of ns-master.gnome.org with
>    the registrar (Network Solutions warns that may take 72 hours
>    to fully propagate.)

The 72 hours mentioned is just a guess. It takes time because this has
to propagate through many levels of DNS servers, e.g. for your ISP.
ISP's often have longer cache times then other DNS servers (to speed up
queries for customers and reduce the traffic needed for high profile
sites). This is bad when it comes to these things and this always causes
problems when you are doing moves like this. There really is not much to
do other then wait.

If you query the DNS servers directly and are getting the right IP's
back, then everything is fine. Everything else is out of your/our
hands.

	Benedikt Kristinsson