Re: Detailed move timeline

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 16:04 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Here's an attempt to write down with some detail what we need to do on
> our side for the server move.
>
> Things I could use help with:
>
>  * Creating a hold page on socket.gnome.org; when socket.gnome.org is
>    accessed as www.gnome.org, live.gnome.org, planet.gnome.org,
>    or bugzilla.gnome.org (any URL), it should respond with a temporary
>    redirect to a page that describes the situation.
>
>    Without any evidence, I think these are the 4 most important URLs;
>    I don't want to worry about the 20 or more other sites we host.)
>
>    Text can be stolen from my gnome-announce-list mail or written
>    from scratch.

I've set this up now. If socket.gnome.org is accessed by as
www.gnome.org, planet.gnome.org, or live.gnome.org, then all URLs are
redirected to /please-hold/

Content on socket is in:

 /var/www/hold-page/

Config files are:

 /etc/apache2/sites-available/hold-page
 /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/hold-page   [symlink]

You can test by adding to your /etc/hosts:

 91.189.93.3     www.gnome.org

For www.gnome.org, planet.gnome.org, live.gnome.org, I've modified the
server configuration on the real server so that /please-hold/ is
redirected to the main page'; this is to make reload of the hold page
works nicely once the outage is over.

I made the server respond to bugzilla.gnome.org, but on reflection, I
think I'm *not* going to repoint the DNS for bugzilla.gnome.org, because
of our use for HTTPS - the user will get confusing scary behavior if
they go to a bookmarked HTTPS URL.

- Owen