Re: Some analysis on live.gnome.org performance

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 10:30 -0800, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>
>> > Possible fixes:
>> >
>> >  - Block /TitleIndex and /WordIndex entirely - they aren't useful pages
>> >  - Block the Blue Coat fetches by User Agent (this, however, apparently
>> >   doesn't get all the prefetches, sometimes it uses the user agent
>> >   of the requesting client.)
>> >  - Use apache's mod_cache facilities to cache /TitleIndex, /WordIndex
>> >  - Patch Moin to omit this section of the pages
>> >
>> > Don't have a lot of opinion which one of these or combination of these
>> > is best - the last one makes some sense to me.
>> >
>> > - Owen
>>
>> Sorry Owen I forgot to reply all the first time.
>>
>> The last one makes a lot of sense however it will require updating the
>> patch as we upgrade moinmoin. What are the downsides of just blocking
>> both of those URLS with a shiney gnome 403 page? Besides it being
>> nifty to see those pages, is there any value add in keeping them?
>
> Downsides I could see:
>
>  - These pages are linked to from http://live.gnome.org/HelpForBeginners
>   and might have some small utility
>
>  - Just blocking the /TitleIndex and /WordIndex won't keep Blue Coat
>   from predictively scraping other URLs in that section.
>
>   From a rough grep, 10% of the page hits on live.gnome.org are
>   for action=raw or action=print.
>
>   (Since there is no UI for getting to action=raw or action=print
>   I can find, we could also possibly just block those as well.)

Would it be possible to somehow programmatically generate these
specific pages from a cronjob and have moin serve a static page? If
BlueCoat is lying about it's user agent there isn't much of a way to
stop it and not kill legitimate users every so often. The problem is
that those 2 pages, helpful or not, are killing the user experience
for everyone else.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com