Re: Outage Sat/Sun Dec 12-13

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 08:30 -0500, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> We might also consider shortening the DNS ttl, and "parking" all the
> gnome.org http stuff someplace for the weekend.  I'm sure we could get
> somebody to host a webpage that just says "Gnome.org servers are
> moving, we'll be back on Monday.  Probably OSU or UMU.

We can host temporary web content on socket.gnome.org (the old
svn.gnome.org) which is at Canonical.

Possible things that make it a little more complicated:

 * ns-master.gnome.org is one of the machines being moved.

 * Our assigned IP's are changing

(OK, these two factors make things hard in general.)

 * almost all of the web content on gnome.org is name-based
   virtual hosts; this makes it hard to test the operation if
   we have the names pointed elsewhere.

(Can be worked around by /etc/hosts entries when testing,
but does cause more work.)

It's going to be a juggling act in any case - my best "simple" solution
here is to update the zone files with the new IPs before things are
taken down and let the slave DNS mirror that while we are down and
coming back up.

I think it would be really nice to put up alternate content for
www.gnome.org (someone want to volunteer to create a page on socket?),
but for the dozens of other hostnames, I'm inclined to let them dangle.

I guess the ideal thing would be to relocate ns-master.gnome.org to
Canonical until we finish the move, but not sure we want to spend the
time to set that up.

- Owen