Re: On doap file naming

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 03:51 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I wonder if naming the doap file after the module name is optimal.
> Wouldn't be it easier to process if the file was simply named "doap" or
> something like "module.doap"?
>
> Now's the time to decide, before too many modules add one...

Some advantages of <modulename>.doap:

 - Makes sense if the file is copied outside the context of the module,
   or downloaded from a web URL.
 - Is amenable to mime-type associations
 - Stands out more from all the auto* and boilerplate in the module
   toplevel.

Conceivable disadvantages:

 - A tiny bit harder to explain how to create it.
 - needs to be renamed if you rename your module
 - you can't decide how your module is spelled. pkg-config? pkgconfig?
   PkgConfig?
 - as you say, puts just a little bit of burden on the automated user
   to find the file.

I like the current scheme.

- Owen