Generating .gitignore files

Hi,

Based on an idea from halfline, I hacked a few lines to automatically generate .gitignore from Makefile.am. It grew to a couple hundred lines, and is available from pango/git.mk.

  http://git.gnome.org/cgit/pango/tree/git.mk

It generates perfect .gitignore files for pango, vte, gnome-terminal, and gucharmap. Which means it knows how to deal with gtk-doc, gnome-doc-utils, and intltool.

The idea is that .gitignore files are autogenerated and are NOT stored in the repository. To use, just copy git.mk into your toplevel, add it to git, run "make -f git.mk" and commit all changes it makes to your tree...

The file is self documented.

One remaining issue I'm not sure if I should cover up for in git.mk. The m4/ dir as well as $(desktop_DATA) and $(schemas_DATA) are not clean even after maintainer-clean. That's bugs in the packages anyway. For now, I suggest adding m4 to GITIGNOREFILES, and add the other two to MAINTAINERCLEANFILES.

Bug reports, enhancements, etc welcome. Read the comments in the file first though. Eventually I'll find a better way to distribute this file.

Cheers,
behdad