Re: Two new Git policy checks

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 17:17 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
>
> >  http://live.gnome.org/Git/Help/ExtraMergeCommits
>
> It looks like this one doesn't exist yet?  Or is there a typo here?

There are a whole slew of these pages under Git/Help that don't exist.
I'm trying hard to avoid being the one who writes them. (Kudos to Rob
Carr for being the first one to write one:
http://live.gnome.org/Git/Help/AuthorEmail)

> The git commands to recover from this scenario aren't immediately
> obvious to me at least, so it'd be good to get them written down.
>
> Definitely agree on having the check though.

The error message actually tells you what to do. In most cases, a simple
'git pull --rebase' is sufficient. It does exactly what you want:

 - Get the latest version from git.gnome.org
 - Rebases the changes on the current branch against it
 - Discard merge commits

- Owen