git and rebasing

Hi All,

In my latest push to gtk+, I noticed that I had a "Merge branch
'master' of ssh://simos git gnome org/git/gtk+" in the commit message.
URL is
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/commit/?id=fbbbf7a936f891dfc0d7f0e4b78aeefe972d6825

Obviously, this happened because I committed my change before pulling.
I suspect that this will be quite common once the translation teams
start using git.
I'ld like to figure out the best way to address the issue.

Shall we instruct people to always
$ git --rebase pull
before they
$ git push

Obviously these two commands are not a single atomic operation, so
there are always chances
to get a merge branch.
Any other best practices for this issue;

Simos