Re: Git hosting

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 16:46 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:

> > I will note that a subset of the functionality from git checkout and
> > git reset often get confused with git revert.  Another nasty
> unneeded
> > UI wart (that is surprisingly easy to fix I might add...).

Not sure I follow.  Those commands do very clearly different things:

  git-checkout: Doesn't touch history.  Checks out a branch as your
current working branch.

  git-reset: Removes some of the most recent commits in the branch, as
if they never happened.  It applies the changes from those commits to
your working tree, unless you provide --hard.

  git-revert: Adds a new commit to the branch, undoing an old one, with
a comment mentioning that this is reverting that old commit.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759