Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

[old email where I forgot reply-all]

On Jan 18, 2008 12:48 PM, Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 09:49 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > Things that could use doap:
> >  * moap (https://thomas.apestaart.org/moap/trac)
> >  * maintainer.py (http://developer.imendio.com/projects/misc/maintainer)
> >  * Mango sync script (instead of /trunk/MAINTAINERS files)
> >  * Bugzilla (cron job that updates e.g. homepage link)
> >

> I have not looked at DOAP in detail so sorry if I am saying something
> silly or obvious, but a use case that I'd find *really* useful is
> automated updating of latest version/download on a project homepage:

That is what I intend to make possible. Initially the doap files will
be stored on some website (either www.gnome.org/doap, doap.gnome.org,
or whatever). Nothing more.
Eventually I'd like something like projects.apache.org. That is
basically a frontend of the DOAP files. It shows latest releases, etc.
Plus a link to the real homepage. This is also what was intended with
the new www.gnome.org CMS (explained on the wiki link I gave earlier).
I don't know if it is ok to just place this 'DOAP' as a website
(latest release info, etc) stuff on www.gnome.org/projects/$MODULE and
put the current customized pages somewhere else, this is why I didn't
mention it before. Plus perhaps the new CMS will do it anyway.

Further, as DOAP files can contain translated strings as well, I hope
to add some i18n to it (using .po files). I didn't say this before as
I don't know if I can do it myself (have to check how to use intltool
+ Makefiles:). Plus if it makes sense, perhaps I can grab the
translations from somewhere else (automated). Then every module would
have a simple overview with the things casual users would always want
to know. And everything in their language.

I've compared a few sites. Some can possibly be done using templates
and doap... and the custom info can be put somewhere else (on the real
project site).

> right now for the gedit website we create the version/download info
> applying with xslt from a simple xml file[1], but if we could take this
> from DOAP and DOAP was automagically updated by the install-module
> script, we would have a always-up-to-date web page without any effort.

The only thing I am not sure about is how everyone using a DOAP file
is aware of an update. E.g. with the gedit website you'll somehow have
to trigger the website update. That is why I am leaning towards
standard sites for all modules with links to detailed info (perhaps
just simple things on a wiki).

Regards,
Olav