[lance osuosl org: [Hosting] Unexpected Network Outage 20071119 1230UTC]

There was some downtime with servers hosted at Canonical. See attached.
Olav
--- Begin Message ---
All-

We experienced an unexpected loss of network connectivity early this
morning during some planned switch maintenance upstream. The outage
occurred between 12:29:42 UTC and 12:49:14 UTC and affected parts of our
network. It appears that there was an issue with the redundant BGP
route-reflectors which when one went away, some of the internal prefixes
(including (140.211.0.0./16) stopped getting announced correctly.

This is the same problem we had on November 15th between 21:52:28 UTC
and 21:59:49 UTC, but that outage was caused by a power failure at NERO.
But again, the BGP routing information wasn't being properly announced
so it affected our network.

Since Nero (our upstream provider) has seen the problem in action, they
have fixed it so that it shouldn't happen anymore in the future.

Sorry for any issues this may have caused with your projects. If you
have any future questions please send them to support <at> osuosl <dot> org.

Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson                                    lance <at> osuosl.org
Systems Administrator / Architect                        Open Source Lab