online.gnome.org [was Re: GNOME online desktop - (some of the possible) next steps]

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 12:02 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Havoc Pennington">
>
> >   - Jeff said he would set up online.gnome.org with mediawiki and we'll
> >     move online-desktop.org there. (maybe online.gnome.org should be
> >     the end user server for creating accounts and stuff, and we should
> >     put this on online-wiki.gnome.org or something?)
>
> Clarification: I raised the idea of running a service on online.gnome.org
> (and more abstract stuff on api.gnome.org), but suggested that wiki stuff
> happen on live.gnome.org... though I'll service your MediaWiki desires if
> absolutely necessary. I don't think we should 'fork' the wiki for much the
> same reasons we shouldn't 'fork' the choice of desktop-related discussion
> forum. Sorry. 8)

Yeah, I don't see "Moin sucks" as a reason to have a separate wiki, even
though Moin does, in fact, suck (*). We'll bite the bullet and integrate
our content into live.gnome.org.

online.gnome.org sounds like a good name for the  user service web
pages; unless I hear screaming and wailing, I'm just going to go ahead
and repoint it at the mugshot.org servers, and we'll start working
on a Mugshot-debranded, GNOME-branded version of the relevant parts of
the site.

> Perhaps however, if we're approaching this with All Seriousness, we might
> consider having (at least) the entry point on www.gnome.org itself...

Keeping www.gnome.org as a marketing page is probably the right thing
for the forseeable future; we can add login links or whatever when
things get more mature.

						- Owen

(*) To avoid being accused of drive-by calumny against Moin, my primary
complaints would be ugliness (Moin themes are better or worse, but they
are all ugly), the category system, and the use of WikiWords for page
titles.