Re: WebSVN

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:26:30AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 23:18 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I'd like to know if it would be possible to have a WebSVN interface on
> > svn.gnome.org, in addition to the good old viewcvs. I feel it is much
> > superior as it can list all files changed in a commit, and you don't
> > have to look for which files were modified in the same commit. (In fact,
> > any interface with that feature would be nice, it's just that I know
> > WebSVN.)
>
> Maintainership has much more difficult for me ever since we lost this
> feature when we lost the integrated bonsai/lxr system a couple of years
> ago. I'd really like this "list all files changed in a commit" feature.

I do not think it is a good idea to have multiple view* software things
installed (I'm not going to install another one and have twice the
maintenance load). We can however take the best one. I have no idea
which one that is. I'd guess 'viewvc' as it is more generic (we probably
have to have a view* on cvs.gnome.org for a while and using the same
software ensures it will be easier on us admins), but IIRC viewvc
doesn't have the annotate function either.

I do not have time to figure which one is the best. If someone could
shortly list the differences between all those view* I'd appreciate it.
I'm especially interested if the view*
 * is secure (track record and the way it is written/designed)
 * the software is actively maintained
 * what features we would not have anymore compared to the viewcvs on
   svn.gnome.org
 * if the URL structure is close enough so I can redirect /viewcvs/ to
   /viewwhatever/ and know it will usually do the right thing
 * easily able to switch (e.g. still uses same bonsai db structure)
 * if it had that annotate option

Olav