Re: Username length limitation policy

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 09:26 -0800, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:

> Please let's continue this discussion and public debate.  I do not
> believe that the policy has been defended properly.  I will continue
> to petition this list  to consider alteration until the reason for the
> policy has been made clear.

Continue to do so and you will continue to not have access to GNOME
services.

Two things strike me here:

1). If your preferred username was "cjsmith" we would not be having this
discussion. Despite your protestations to the contrary, this crusade
you're on is not motivated by any interest in improving GNOME services,
but by your desire to have the username you want.

2). You talk about the work you have done for GNOME, and yet you're
willing to let a module you have recently pushed to maintain slide into
further deprecation pending you getting the username you want. If you're
dedicated to GNOME software development, actions speak louder than
words. Stop tilting the username windmill and get hacking.

This is not a problem for anyone else. You're the only one complaining
about it.

This "issue" has not caused any problems in terms of delivering services
to GNOME contributors. If it was such a big issue, I would expect that
it would have had at least one consequence before now. It hasn't, other
than the fact your last name isn't Smith. It's a tempest in a teapot.
Until we hit a wall that forces us to reconsider this policy, I see no
reason to change the policy to something that could break from something
that is not broken.

One man's opinion. But my question to you is, "Are you more interested
in your vanity username or does your desire to contribute to the project
trump that? If you're so dedicated to the GNOME project, why is the fact
you can't have your desired username (which I could not, either)
stopping you from being a productive contributor?"

Let's move on, shall we?

./k

kurt von finck
--