Re: Subversion history problem

James Henstridge wrote:

>Hi Ross,
>
>I was looking through the history of the imported version of jhbuild,
>and it seems that the order of the changesets is incorrect.

[snip]

At the request of Guilherme, I put together a script to detect
occurrences of clock skew in the existing CVS history.  The results can
be seen here:

  http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/cvs-time-problems

Each entry in this log indicates a revision of the file whose date that
is earlier than the previous revision.  Note that this is not a complete
list of problem revisions.  For each discontinuity there may be multiple
revisions with bad dates before the clock was corrected.

There are 1245 affected files spread over the following 98 modules:

acme, atomix, Attic, balsa, bonobo-activation, bonobo-backup, dashboard,
dia, dr-genius, eider, eog, epiphany, evolution, evolution-data-server,
gal, galeon, gb, gedit, gegl, gernel, gftp, ggv, ghex, gill, gimp,
gimp-freetype, gimp-web, glib, gnet, gnome-applets,
gnome-control-center, gnome-core, gnome-debug, gnome-desktop,
gnome-games, gnome-games-deprecated, gnome-guile, gnome-i18n,
gnome-icon-theme, gnomeicu, gnome-media, gnome-panel, gnome-pilot,
gnome-python, gnome-session, gnome-utils, gnome-vfs, gnomeweb-wml,
gnumeric, goffice, gok, grapevine, gswitchit, gthumb, gtk--, gtk+,
gtk-book, gtkhtml, gtk-reference, gtranslator, gucharmap, guppi3,
gxsnmp, _lgp_test, libbonobo, libbonoboui, libgnomecanvas, libgnomedb,
libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, libgnomeui, libgtop, libgtop-backends,
libole2, librsvg, libxml2, libxslt, mango, mc, medusa, mrproject,
nautilus, oaf, ooo-build, openoffice, ORBit2, pan, pango-web, pyIDL, rc,
rcd-modules, rp3, sodipodi, sound-juicer, stickynotes_applet,
sun-patches, web-devel-2, zenity

The conversion process is likely to result in corrupted history for any
of these modules.

Guilherme's suggestion for fixing the problem was to manually edit the
RCS files directly to provide increasing commit times, which should
prevent the cvs2svn bug from being triggered.  He was able to do this
fairly easily for the "jhbuild" module, since only a few files were
affected.

Care needs to be taken with this approach though to make sure that the
date changes are synchronised, otherwise it can result in changesets
being split.

I don't currently have any suggestions for automated ways of fixing the
problem.

James.