Re: Mail archive search

Thanks for bringing up the archive search issue.

In my opinion, the main problem with using Google's search is that it does not index all the posts, and we don't know what are the criteria for some posts making into the index vs others that fall out. In particular, Google search cannot cover the new posts which haven't been crawled yet.

Google search is incomplete, but yes, at least it will be better than the current index which is not maintained. However, there are other alternatives besides Google.

Gnome lists have been widely archived by third party sites, for example, Gmane.org and Mail-archive.com.  Check out this searchable archive by Nabble.com - http://www.nabble.com/Gnome-f1226.html - it archives all the Gnome lists in to a forum allowing cross search and cross browsing.

For example, you can search for "google" to see what the Gnome community is talking about wrt 'google', but you can also narrow the result down into each project, and then each list. Allowing search by project is useful, because each project often have several mailing lists, making it time-consuming to search one list at a time.

I hope you find the search fast, and UI clean. The backend of Nabble uses Lucene which is an open source search engine. Nabble is also ad-free for open source projects.

I am a member of the Nabble project. Nabble started archiving Gnome lists a few months ago. If the Gnome community finds Nabble useful, I can probably get Nabble to do a custom import of Gnome historical data.

Let me know.

Germ�Po�ama�rote:
According to the ToDo List at:
http://live.gnome.org/SysadminToDoList#head-f0c6a308a64a8f5661c76d7077c84d83a4183ea6

the archive indexing is not maintained.

Some time ago I proposed to use Google as indexer, and it wasn't
considered a good choice.  However, we don't have a good solution
working yet. So, here I go again.

What I propose is to use something like:
http://www.gnome.org/~gpoo/search/

Sent from the Gnome - Infrastructure forum at Nabble.com.