Re: Membership management

On อา., 2005-07-03 at 13:20 +0800, Ivan, Wong Yat Cheung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been helping the membership committee to implement a web-based
> membership management system. Vincent told me that we will use LDAP as
> the directory service, and my question is:

> >> I don't know. You might want to contact gnome-infrastructure gnome org
> >> about this.

Sorry for the *really* slow response (only just managing to catch up on
this month's backlog).

We have been running our LDAP service for over a year now. I've only
recently (in the last few days) released a PHP-based web interface to
save the sysadmins from the command-line ldap* tools. I wanted to set it
up on window (the machine dedicated to serving websites). However, it's
version of PHP is a little dated and underfeatured (no XSLT or LDAP), as
you can see here:

http://www.gnome.org/~rossg/phpinfo.php

So I built installed a more recent PHP with the features my app needed
(e.g. LDAP and XSLT) on another gnome.org server (button). However, now
I am happy with the new PHP build, I am planning to upgrade PHP on
window and move the site onto window (where it should be), so we can
shut down httpd on button.

http://button.gnome.org/~rossg/phpinfo.php

Your membership management application could eventually live on window
too, when it's PHP build config looks more like this :) One of these
days we'll actually upgrade the servers to a modern base platform!

Also, if you want it should be fairly simply to extend my existing PHP
admin system to handle membership management data (either in LDAP or
mySQL, or both). Drop me an e-mail off the list (or catch me on IRC
#sysadmin) if you want to take a look at the source etc.

Ross