Re: Request to put GNOME Journal onto the gnome.org servers

Jim Hodapp wrote:
I am requesting to put the GNOME Journal website onto the gnome.org web
servers since we lost our box that we've been hosting it on free of
charge up to this point.  We'd host it on a team member's co-lo server,
but it can't handle the traffic that we get when we release new
editions.  What we require for the site software-wise is the following:

1) PHP v4.3.x (any PHP 4.3 version will do)
2) textpattern installed (get the latest version from
www.textpattern.com)
3) MySQL v4.0.x (any MySQL 4.0 version will do)

That's all we need as far as software goes.  A database called
gnomejournal in MySQL would be a good name for the database for
textpattern.  Textpattern is the content management system that we use
to manage the content of the site.  If you need any more info, please
let me know.

Jim,

It's hard to tell from a cursory glance at the TP website, forum and source if TextPattern requires register_globals be turned on for PHP. In the interest of my laziness, could you answer this for me?

Personally, I find register_globals a security risk. There are workarounds for not using it, and if your current host does not support register_globals then said fixes have been applied to your installation of TP.

Currently the gnome.org PHP installs do not support register_globals. Personally, I'd be hesitant to turn it on. I think before any more discussion takes place it's a good idea to figure out if PHP as-provided at gnome.org will suit your needs. A copy of the php.ini file from your current host would be great.

One man's opinion here. I don't wear the Final Decision Hat. :)

./k

kurt von finck
--
http://www.mneptok.com