Re: Account team out of business?

On ศ., 2005-12-09 at 15:06 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 12:26 +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I know a few people who have applied for GNOME CVS accounts some weeks
> > ago, but still not heard anything back. Talking to Kjartan on IRC I got
> > the feeling that the system for creating accounts had changed and that
> > there was no-one who tended to do account creation who knew exactly how
> > the new system worked. I might be mis-interpreting/mis-representing
> > here, but if we have managed to get ourselves into a position where new
> > contributors are held out due to having an sysadmin breakdown, then I
> > guess we need to wave a red flag and start thinking about ways to get
> > out of this situation.
> >
> > Christian
>
> Who is in the sysadmin team these days?

And active on the accounts front at the moment? Mostly just Toni, Kurt
and me.

http://sysadmin.gnome.org/people.html

> Is accounts gnome org going to the right people?

Yes. In the last few months the accounts requests have been going to a
request tracking system. Toni and Kurt have mostly been monitoring this
from day-to-day. I've not been as active as them in the last few weeks.

However, yes we have a problem. Hanging around on #sysadmin I see a lot
of people coming on asking us to chase up some request number or other.
The main problem seems to be that Kurt, Toni and I are all too busy with
other things to be able to find enough time recently. Last night, I
stumbled across a handful of requests that had been sent 4-5 weeks ago
that were still unanswered :( That's not so good. IMHO, we should be
aiming to provide an initial response time of no more than about 48hrs.

> Do we need to give more people power to create CVS accounts?

Yes, I have been preparing to do that recently. These days, handling
accounts requests doesn't need any major root-fu know-how (just a little
prior knowledge, a browser, some spare time and some common sense). I've
been trying to write up the daily accounts-handling procedure in such a
way that we can delegate the task to a separate accounts team, with
perhaps 4-5 members organising themselves in shifts or whatever. That
shouldn't take long - I'll try to coax Kurt and Toni into helping out
with that and get that set up in the next few days if possible.

If anyone is reading this and wants to volunteer for the new team,
please sign up on #sysadmin (or by e-mail to accounts gnome org). We
can't just let anyone become an account admin, so please expect to have
to qualify yourself (in terms of trustworthiness/responsibility etc).
But, if you're trustworthy and can help, your assistance will be greatly
appreciated.

Ross