Re: Mail configuration changes

On จ., 2005-08-22 at 10:13 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 02:47 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've added the following lines to /etc/postfix/main.cf on the various
> > servers:
> >
> > # For Postfix 2.0.11 (RHEL3):
> > alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, ldap:ldapsource
> > ldapsource_server_host = ldap-back
> > ldapsource_search_base = ou=people,dc=gnome,dc=org
> > ldapsource_query_filter = (uid=%s)
> > ldapsource_result_attribute = mail
> > # For Postfix 2.2+
> > #alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
> > ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-aliases.cf
> >
> > This means that local mail to users on the various servers will be
> > redirected to the user's remote mailbox, instead of generating
> > 'procmail: /var/spool/mail/login can't be created' bounce messages.
> >
> > I've also added:
> >
> > relayhost = menubar.gnome.org
> >
> > So that all outbound mail is passed via menubar.
>
> - Is the above properly taking into account whether someone is supposed
>   to have a @gnome.org alias? Or are we happy with
>   <foo>@<servername>.gnome.org working for all people with accounts?

I figured, at least for window, it would be a good idea for local mail
to any shell users to reach them rather than generate bounces.

But, you're right. Thinking it through a bit more, forwarding local mail
to the LDAP e-mail address is only actually approriate to those with
shell access to window (e.g. ftpadmin group members), and only if they
are using stuff like cron/at. If it's not forwarded, it generates
annoying bounces and the user is left in the dark about their job. I'll
try to work out a more group-oriented LDAP query string for window and
revert the ldapsource stuff from container/button/menubar where it isn't
actually doing anything useful.

> - Is mail to gnomeweb www gnome org still getting delivered locally?
>   If not, auto website builds will not work.

Yes, I cocked up again. The LDAP alias lookup was returning an email
address for 'gnomeweb' and 'bugzilla', which meant that rather that
locally delivering the mail to procmail, it was just forwarding stuff
on :( I've altered the LDAP query string to not return results for those
two users, and checked - it's now working again.

--
Ross