Re: Virus scanning experiences

On ศ., 2004-05-07 at 15:22 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>  A) With amavisd sitewide run from postfix
>
>     (http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.postfix)
>
> I'm wondering if people have any experience with these tools and/or have
> other relevant thoughts.

I'm with jdub - 'kill the s*** before it hits the fan'!

I use amavisd(-new) with Postfix on my home mailservers and a client.
It's been very good. Whenever I check the mailqueue, it still seems to
be tring to send a shedload of reject notifications to forged addresses
(I can't see a decent way around that), so I also use a selection of
RBLs as well to prevent much of it from even reaching amavisd (and thus
need scanning and potentially generating a bounce message in the queue)
- in which case the sending server will handle the bounce. Anything that
makes it to amavisd gets scanned with both spamassassin and clamav. A
few virii/spam leak through from time to time, but a fraction in
comparison to the total according to the logs.

I'd certainly recommend it.

--
Ross